Wednesday 14 May 2008

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (2001)



I guess it was only a matter of time before I put this up here. Has to be one the best hip-hop albums ever released and possibly my personal favourite. This record is the perfect combination of two incredible lyricists and a producer with a vision. El-P's dark, noise laden, dense beats form the distorted backdrop for Vast Aire and Vordul's journey through the gritty, urban nightmare of modern New York. Easily the best thing that Def Jux ever put out and the pinacle of Vast, Vordul and El-P's work to date. How could they ever live up to this? A deep, dark brooding masterpiece rarely seen in modern urban music.

"put a mic in front of me, and I'm gonna bless it hummingbird style, seventy times in one second"

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
1. Iron Galaxy
2. Ox Out The Cage
3. Atom
4. A B-Boy's Alpha
5. Raspberry Fields
6. Straight Of The DIC
7. Vein
8. The F Word
9. Stress Rap
10. Battle For Asgard
11. Real Earth
12. Ridiculoid
13. Painkillers
14. Pigeon
15. Scream Phoenix

http://www.sendspace.com/file/85cd5z

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only a matter of time indeed, but still an absolute necessity. This is the album got me into hip hop in general (I've decided my earlier dabblings with Mr. Lif no longer count; if you've heard Mo' Mega you'll understand).

Much love.

-Patrick